Skip to main content

Featured

Must See: Montana Fall Road Trip - 2022

Wild Goose Overlook - St. Mary's Lake - East Side Going to the Sun Road - Glacier National Park Fall is like the blissful sunset of a beautiful day. The colors of the year blazing into brilliant reds and oranges. The weather holding out the last vestiges of warmth. And all the world seems to be curling up over a cozy mug of hot chocolate in the waning light. Just before the cold night of winter settles in. I love fall. And everything that it brings with it. Especially, I love the mountains in fall. How they can go from striking to moody in a matter of moments. And, (even) most especially, I love Glacier National Park in the fall. It is spectacle for the senses. Bright colors. Cool breezes. Altitudes and reflections. Hiking. Grazing moose. Scampering bears.  Head out highway 2 toward West Glacier and you are astounded by the sheer mountainous walls marking the entrance to the park. But, before you do that, my wife reminds me in one of those step on the brakes sort of ways, you absol

Thoughts for Thursday: Giving Thanks


Thanksgiving happens to be a uniquely North American holiday. However, the action that we set aside the day to celebrate is one of international acclaim. It is on this day that all pause to give thanks. As originally intended, some turn to the Living God in recognition of His generous mercy, abundant grace, and ruthless love. For though we were once objects of His good and perfect wrath, He now calls us His children through faith in Christ's sacrifice on the cross and bodily resurrection from the dead. He placed the judgment we deserved for our sins on His only Son on the cross so that anyone who believes in the Son with have eternal life. Believe and repent. Turn to the one who has the power to give you eternal life or eternal death.

Others today look at the rain and turn to thank the sky. It is God who brings rain on the good and the bad. On those who are found right before Him because of belief in His Son and those who are condemned to punishment because they do not believe in the Son.*

I am thankful this day that the Lord calls me one of His children, not because of anything I have done, but because of what He did through Christ on the cross. And I am thankful to what God is doing in the lives of people around me. The relationships He is growing. The wisdom He is giving. The success He is providing. And the body of believers He mercifully allows me to worship with.

I am thankful that He has brought so many uniquely gifted friends into my life. I am thankful for each brother He has provided to walk this life together with. For each sister He uses to teach me to lead and care for His people.

I am thankful for the family He placed me in that He continues to use to spur me on. For the nuances of these relationships. I am thankful that the Lord is adding to our number. I am thankful for an older brother whose diligence and hard work set an example I try to emulate and a little sister who cares more than she is ever willing to show. I am thankful for a mother who tries to speak the truth in everything and father that works to live out a steadfast faith. And for the many other family members the Lord amongst whom the Lord has graciously place me.

Finally, I am thankful for the crucible. The Lord works all things for good for those who love Him - for those who believe in His Son and obey His commands. But, we who are called sons and daughters of God, are imperfect creates. Sinners with many flaws. For the Christ did not come to heal the healthy, but to save the sick and the dead. So, the Lord does His work in us like a goldsmith in his trade. To be perfected, gold must  have its impurities removed. The smith places it in a crucible and holds it to the fire. The impurities rise up and burn away. The smith does this again and again - the gold being put to the fire over and over. It is not until the smith can see a pure reflection of himself in the gold that it finished.**

I thank God for the crucible. For I know He is working in this that my faults and failures might be burned away so that I may love Him and know Him better. Because of this, I live in hope that one day, I will stand before Him as His masterful piece of work.

In this day, I give thanks to God for who He is and what He is doing.

What are you thankful for today?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Salvation - being saved from God's perfect judgment and His consequential wrath - is a free gift. It is open to anyone who repents of his sins and believes that Jesus is the Son of God who lived a perfect life and died on the cross for our sins. This is necessary because we, each and everyone of us, rebelled against God and made ourselves to be our own gods. We sinned against God and were eternally condemned. How great is the news that we can have eternal life - set free from the condemnation brought about by our own sin - if we believe in Jesus!

** The work of the crucible is a good work. It may often be painful, but it can also be full of great joy. The Lord does not promise an easy life. Indeed, He promises that His followers will face troubles, trials, and significant struggles. But He does promise that He is sovereign and sufficient - that His grace is more than enough for each day. And, He is good. My brothers and sisters, hold fast to the hope that we have in Christ - the hope of eternal life with God.

Brad Kehr is a photographer specializing in events, portraits, and landscapes. As a recent Georgetown Law graduate he enjoys exploring DC as a young attorney and sharing what he finds through the lens. You can follow him on Instagram at @bradkehrphoto, catch his website at www.bradkehrphotography.com, catch him on Twitter, or find him on Facebook.

Popular Posts